Challenge Cup: St Helens 8-31 Warrington – Wire score five tries to reach semis

Challenge Cup: St Helens 8-31 Warrington – Wire score five tries to reach semis

Challenge Cup – In a significant Challenge Cup quarter-final match, Warrington secured a convincing 31-8 victory over St Helens. Warrington’s dominant performance was highlighted by five tries and a drop goal from George Williams, giving them an edge at halftime.

St Helens managed only one try in the first half from Konrad Hurrell, which was improved by Jon Bennison. Bennison also contributed a penalty in the second half, but St Helens couldn’t capitalize on their efforts.

Warrington’s start to the second half was decisive as they scored two quick tries, disrupting St Helens’ defense. Matty Ashton scored a remarkable try in the left corner, demonstrating his exceptional skill and practice. Wire’s third try came from Josh Wrench and was converted by Josh Thewlis. The victory was sealed when Joe Philbin crashed over for another try, followed by Matt Dufty’s setup for Williams’ final score.

This win marks Warrington’s return to Wembley for the first time since their victory in 2019. St Helens, on the other hand, faced their second consecutive defeat and will need to reassess their strategies ahead of their next match against Hull FC.

St Helens’ coach Paul Wellens expressed his disappointment with the team’s performance, noting a lack of improvement from the previous week’s defeat to the Catalans Dragons. He stressed the need for soul-searching and potential changes to the lineup.

Warrington’s head coach, Sam Burgess, commended his team’s overall performance, particularly Ashton’s try, which was a result of consistent practice. While satisfied with the win, Burgess acknowledged that the team can still improve and must maintain focus moving forward.

The lineups for both teams were as follows:

St Helens: Welsby; Makinson, Hurrell, Blake, Bennison; Lomax, Dodd; Walmsley, Clark, Delaney, Sironen, Batchelor, Knowles.

Interchanges: Mata’utia, Mbye, Bell, Whitley.

Warrington: Dufty; J Thewlis, King, Wrench, Ashton; Williams, Hayes; Harrison, Walker, Philbin, Nicholson, Fitzgibbon, Crowther.

Interchanges: Bullock, Holroyd, Powell, Wood.

Referee: Jack Smith.